As I currently find myself in the middle of holiday season ‘feast mode’, I also find myself in the middle of “tis the season-full blown- freak-out-mode”! Anyone else find it difficult to say no to all the holiday food and NOT partake in all the merriment? Seriously, my body doesn’t know what to do with all the extra egg nog and yule log calories that I HAVE to indulge in because, Scrooge.
During this time of year I try to balance out all the holiday feasting with extra strength training and doubling up on HIIT workouts. So here is my number one tip to maintaining your waistline this season … get up and get moving! That’s right, gym time baby! Where’s the motivation you say?!
Well just like when we were younger and the new school year would begin, you’d have a new backpack full of shiny new school supplies, welcome to the adult version of that! Meet your new backpack … Lil Ms. (or Mr.) Totebag! Being fully prepped to hit up a sweat session will have you prepped to hit up the food table for seconds! Here is what’s in my gym bag!
1. The tote – this sleek lil baby will carry your gym essentials in style! It’s the perfect size, not crazy bulky like a duffel, yet spacious enough to hold all of these items AND a change of clothes!
2. A sweatband – oh that sweet sweat, it doesn’t stand a chance with this nylon sweat band. Ladies and long haired gents, you’ll be happy to hear that this also doubles as a hair tie!
3. Headphones – not just any headphones, these are blue tooth ear buds that allow you to lunge and lift without the annoyance of cords. Don’t you just hate that!
4. The kicks – my most recent obsession, these tennis shoes! Like with hand bags, shoes also set the tempo, literally. These are comfortable and classic, and will get you excited to pump some iron!
5. Recovery – this is important if you’re ripping and tearing through your workouts, AND your muscles. These are BCAA’s- branched-chain amino acids, which help to repair and build your muscles. I like this blueberry flavor, it’s like a sports drink meets koolaid! I habitually add this to my water bottle and drink it up during my workout. I’ll also reach for some coconut water during my more intense workouts, which replenish lost electrolytes and aid in hydration.
6. Protein – this is key to building lean muscle and fueling your muscle growth. Remember to have your protein shake or protein + carbohydrate packed meal within 30 minutes after completing your workout. You want to send protein to your muscles as quickly as possible so your body doesn’t eat away at the muscle you just worked so hard for! I love this Perfect Fit Protein because it’s a plant based protein powder that is especially good to bake with, ummm can you say protein waffles every day all day?!
7. Sweat be gone – I love this micro fibre towel because it’s made from a quick dry, anti-bacterial material, and has a grip covered underside. So no matter how crazy I get with my burpees and jumping lunges, this towel stays in place!
8. Hydration – hydration, hydration, hydration!!! It’s crazy to think that we should be drinking half of our body weight in water! Sounds daunting but it can easily be done if you infuse your water with some lemon wedges or some fruit pieces. Just a trick that makes your water delicious and extra beneficial! This water bottle is especially dear to me because proceeds from each water bottle sold goes to support clean water efforts in Africa. Also, it’s BPA-free, dishwasher-safe, reusable, and recyclable! I slip this into the side of my gym tote making it easily accessible, just refilling it at the water fountain. Ahem, Los Angeles tap water is OK to drink now haha!
There you have it! The only sure way to ensure that the only thing you’re spiking this holiday season is the eggnog and not your cholesterol! Share with me your gym and fitness essentials, and I hope you enjoyed this post!
This really is the time of year to indulge in all of your favorite holiday dishes with wild abandonment! No regrets! I’ll be doing the same, so just do it, and I’ll see you later this week with some festive side dish ideas! Yum!!!