Have you ever felt pressure to have plans made for your time off, that ‘breaks’ during the year feel more like time on and less like time off? First it was Spring break, now we have Summer break approaching, and if you have little ones at home I almost feel like it’s easier for you to occupy your time. With my little one in college she isn’t little any more, so now Summer breaks just feel like really long weekends! ha
So today I’ve compiled my favorite things to do to beat the summer break boredom! Lets face it, you’ve probably already hiked that hike 893 times and visited that secret getaway spot enough times to know that it isn’t secret any more.
- Explore more – instead of googling the best places to visit, just pull up Groupon or Living Social and explore their many travel and ‘things to do’ tabs! You’ll be surprised by how spontaneous you are to go indoor sky diving on a Tuesday 😉
- Blaze new trails– try playing “hike roulette”, or ‘blind picnic picking’ which require only an app on your phone and a packed lunch! The way we do it is we pull up Yelp on our phones, we pick an area we want to explore and a number! Whatever number of whatever hiking trail or park corresponds with one another, we go for it! Love or hate it, you’ll be outside and enjoying new views! *Pro-tip: Geocache while you’re at it, just don’t forget to bring an item you can leave behind
- Take some you time – it’s totally okay to do nothing with your time off and reinvest in your own health, especially your mental health, after all it IS your time off. Take some time to be still in the morning, light some incense, do some yoga, and before you know it your routing will not only refill your personal well, but it’ll prepare you for that long awaited yoga retreat!
- Vacation, staycation, shmaycation – oldie but goodie, getaways are the quickest ways to put a long lasting smile on your face. You’ll reflect on what the sand felt like and what the air smelled like wherever you went to just get away. You’ll remember what your favorite meal of the trip was and how it brought you and your family closer, and you closer to feeling more positive and less weighed down by the every day mook. Shmaycation … I’m all for it
- Feed your inner kid – literally and figuratively! If that means pizza and movie night, paint night at home or at your favorite art shop, popcorn making and Jenga, rolling down a hill and then jumping into a strangers pool (don’t get arrested I can’t bail you out), or building a fort in your living room equipped with flashlights and finger foods, DO IT! Do all of it! It’s incredible how freeing and FREE it is to just be silly, and laugh, and be you
Summer break is only a few weeks away, what do you have planned to beat the summer boredom blues?!