If you asked me to name a dish that reminds me of my childhood, a memorable tradition is having Shrimp Patties at every holiday and family gathering. Being one of Corrine’s favorites, my mom’s take on this Chamorro staple is what sparks nostalgia in our home the most.
My mom lives in Tennessee and we live in California so cooking together is difficult and recreating recipes without her close-by is even more difficult. She’ll say, “oh Neni (‘baby’ in Chamorro), it’s a pinch of this, a dash of that and stir, stir, stir.” My inability to convert a ‘pinch of this’ into any form of understanding just makes me wish she were here even more.
Luckily, the technology behind the new GE Appliances Kitchen Hub, releasing in May, will enable us to feel more connected; Whether it’s looking for recipes on YouTube, asking Google Assist to read me the ingredient list or calling my mom via video chat so she can supervisor the “pinch” ratio- it’s going to change the way we cook at home. To bring your families back to the kitchen together, GE Appliances has launched a special job search for the Great American Grandma! Any grandma can enter HERE and you can nominate any grandma! The fun part is:
- it’s a year-long contract that will pay $50,000 for 10-15 hours of work per month, plus five new, top-of-the-line GE Appliances kitchen products and a GE Kitchen Hub for Grandma
- Grandma will have THE best job ever! She’ll focus on sharing content on social media, sharing her secret recipes, telling all the family stories, and having all the fun!
Who will you nominate? Are you a Grandma ready to share your favorite secret recipes? What family stories will you tell?!
Thanks to GE Appliances for sponsoring this post!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 (10 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 lbs medium raw shrimp peels and deveined
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen mixed vegetables thawed and drained
- 5 cups oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs together with the evaporated milk
- Add in the flour, dry ingredients, and seasonings. Mix together with a whisk until smooth
- Combine the shrimp and mixed vegetables and stir well
- Heat your oil in a large pot under medium heat
- Drop the batter into the oil by the spoonful (we used a large wooden spoon) and fry until golden brown. We flipped the shrimp patties half way during frying to ensure cooking on both sides
- Use a bamboo skewer or toothpick to pierce the center of the patty, when it comes out clean they’re ready to be removed from the oil
- Allow any extra oil to be soaked up by paper towels
- Garnish with fresh chives and ENJOY!