I take this topic literally and metaphorically, I mean if you watch any of my Instagram stories you’ve seen that I don a hat about 90% of the time. Hats help with my bad hair days, dirty hair days, and days I want to feel good without having to do anything with my hair at all. I promise this isn’t a post about all the hats I own. It wouldn’t be very long, think picture book and nothing but paper boy hats. This is about all the hats that I wear.
We all wear so many hats don’t we? We work, we go to school, we parent, we adult, we make lists, we Marie Kondo our lives, we do it all, and we stresss! Oh man, do we stress. That’s why I think it’s so important that we find time to re-center our energy and connect to things that we’re passionate about without the attachment to another person. It allows us to be an individual which can be difficult when we’re so busy being all the things for everyone else. I read somewhere (let me know where if you recognize this) but that ‘it’s not time that we’re limited on, time is infinite, it’s our energy and we must protect our energy, and give it away and put it into the people and things we most care about.’ It went something like that.
Joe and I both work from home now and working for ourselves we’ve known this much to be true about ourselves: we don’t clock in or out so we’re basically working from the time we wake up until the time we go to sleep, we don’t take lunch breaks where we go somewhere and step away from it all, and it’s all we talk about on date nights since it IS our life. Like, what do other people talk about on date night, I need to know. Oh and we go crazy! Trying not to lose it, here are five things I’ve been doing to stay on track so that I have time to complete my task list but also not fall off my rocker plowing through the day.
- don’t hit snooze – oh I’ve done it before, on days that I truly need more rest and body can’t get up, I rest. Snooze away! But on most days the alarm goes off and I pop out of bed. I’ve found that it helps me personally to get up and get am ’em with no hesitation. You really have to listen to your body, if you need the rest do it, but if you don’t try jumping out of, really jump out of bed and see how you feel HA
- morning routine – this is important for me, kind of sets the tone for the day and I’m a creature of habit so for my own brain’s sake I’ll meditate, read, dance around with music, stare blankly at a wall with no thoughts at all…. no really I’ve done that before and I consider it my form of mediation. Anything really that clears my head of clutter or negativity. Having my coffee on the couch with my diffuser going is part of my morning ritual
- work out – again, for me personally it really helps my energy levels and my attitude to get some adrenaline going first thing in the morning. A nice sweat sesh allows me to start the day explosively and kind of keeps me at that high for the entire day. On my rest days I’ll use this time to stretch and on some days an evening workout is just how it goes. This isn’t for everyone but I believe that if I can take care of myself and I’m healthy and strong that I can take care of my loved ones
- realistic expectations – this is really hard for a control freak like myself. I’ll write lists for my lists and then be disappointed when something isn’t crossed off. So I’ve learned to write down 5 things each day and prioritize something I’ve been dreading as my NUMBER ONE thing to get done. Have you ever felt accomplished after doing that one thing you didn’t want to do, well lead with that dread daily … you know what I’m sayin 😉 It’s always so much more painful to put it off than to just get errrr done
- I do my best and my best is good enough – can’t you just see me repeating that to myself every day? … “all work and no play makes jack a dull boy” LOL But truly, I’ve had to learn (still learning tbh) that if I’m giving it my all, and I’m truly putting in my best, well then if something didn’t get done that’s okay
Remember, we all have the same amount of hours in the day as Oprah. No pressure self, you’ve got this. Also self, go outside and talk to people, you can become a hermit at times. And p.s. i love you
What are some thing you do daily to balance all the hat wearing that you’re doing??? Are you a bullet journaler? Do you Marie Kondo all your friends and family’s things? Do you struggle with balancing it all out? You’ve got this <3