Looking back, as a teenager I thought I had terrible skin. I mean I broke out like any normal hormone-raged, pubescent teen would but I really thought I had a problem. Like, I made my dad buy me acne pills and I tried every face wash you could think of. I was 12 and no medication or face astringent on the planet could do away with my breakouts. Now as an adult, I’m breaking out and it’s unlike a normal adult woman should. The only difference between then and now is that I knew then what was triggering my breakouts.
By process of elimination I realized that my problem was that I wasn’t cleaning my cosmetic brushes AND makeup enough. I was doing everything I needed to in terms of keeping my skin clean, but I was being pretty lazy when it came to daily maintenance of the products that touch my skin every dang day. Imagine the bacteria . . . ewww gross. S0 today I’m sharing with you my DIY daily brush spritz and a super simple way to deep cleanse your brushes weekly. So for the daily brush spritz you’ll need an empty spray bottle, mineral water, alcohol, your favorite essential oil, and some cotton balls or paper towels.
– fill the spray bottle 70% full of water and then fill it up another 30% with alcohol
– add in 9-11 drops of your favorite essential oil (I love lavender!), give it a good shake and then spray a few spritzes onto a paper towel or tissue paper and swirl your brushes around (in a back and forth motion) until they’re clean.
– air dry
*the alcohol will cleanse and disinfect your brushes, the essential oil will recondition them since alcohol is very drying and pungent, and the water will help to dilute the mixture and the alcohol. You can use this method daily to give your brushes a nice quick cleaning so that during the week you aren’t reintroducing old makeup and bacteria onto your skin, hence the pesky breakouts.
About once a week or so I’ll deep cleanse my brushes since even my daily cleanser isn’t always enough. Most makeup shampoos can be a bit pricey especially if you’re washing up to 20 brushes! *raises hand* so I’m bringing back an old favorite that you may have seen before!
For this DIY brush shampoo/conditioner you’ll need a mild shampoo, olive oil, and a plate for mixing. Simple right?!
– pour equal parts of the shampoo and olive oil onto the plate and use your brush to combine the mixture and to saturate the bristles with the combination
– use the palm of your hand to swirl the brush around and create suds (back and forth and swirls onto your palm) until you’ve gotten most of the pigment out
– run the brush under tepid water until the water runs clear and your brushes are clean
– reshape the brush and then lay them flat or at least bristles down, so that they air dry without allowing the water to enter the handle of the brush and rusting your goods
*the shampoo is effective yet mild enough to deep cleanse your brushes weekly and the olive oil with recondition them
Don’t forget to disinfect your makeup and tools at least once a week also! So your pressed powders, palettes, and tools should all get a nice lil alcohol bath simply using alcohol and a cotton round. This will keep your makeup clean and your skin clean too!
How often do you clean your brushes, makeup, and tools?! Do you fellas out there clean your stuff too? You totally should!